5.11.11

Well In

I've been steadily progressing in the building of the Ultimaker. I found that the rocking I spoke of in the previous post was due to the table I had it on. Placed on the floor, everything is fine. The table is one of those interlocking home-made tables you can make out of one piece of plywood. I have two. Had 'em for years. Maybe it's time to upgrade to less "student" looking furniture.

One of these pieces is not like the other.
Someone was too quick loading/unloading the laser cutter.
So far the motors, X-Y axes and extrusion head are installed. Next up is the Z stage. It's going together quite easily. The only issues so far have been with some small clearances, and a laser cut part that had a diagonal hole because the operator of the laser cutting machine was loading or unloading the birch plywood into the machine while it was cutting (see right).

I need to come up with a title for this blog - "Working Title" isn't cutting it. Maybe a play on words around 3D printing or plastic. But I don't want to limit the blog to just the 3D printer part, when the actual objects being made are the important part. I don't really want to associate myself with the Make or Maker terminology. I feel that Make Magazine and the Maker Shed has subverted the actual Do-It-Yourself/Home-Made movement with a monetization that is the antithesis of the ideals it stands for. Nothing against O'Reilly. It's just that paying for the ideas and plans one "makes" gives me that "ew" feeling.

I would like to work curmudgeon in the title somewhere. Lets call it "The Creative Curmudgeon". No, sorry, that's been taken - twice. OK, how about the "Homemade Curmudgeon". No, that sounds like Suzy Homemaker. How about the "Constructive Curmudgeon". No, taken. "The Curmudgeon Constructs". Hmmm. That works. Done. At least for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment