2.11.11

Construction Start

The Ultimaker arrived today, so naturally I started building the kit.
 
Frame construction.
The first step is the frame construction. I took the time to sand the edges a bit, not that it really needed it, but it leaves a nice smell of birch wood in the air.

There were a few steps where the orientation wasn't clear, so I edited the wiki to (hopefully) clarify it. I love wikis.

One side was tight, so I had to coax it a little with a hammer. Nothing major, just some taps to seat the tabs in the holes.

The one thing that bothers me at this point is that the frame doesn't rest on all four feet, but rocks back and forth a bit. I guess I'll have to loosen all the screws holding it together and change the trapezoidal shape into a rectangular one by using brute strength and measuring with a square. The T-slots are not much smaller than the holes for the nuts, and the wood is kind of soft, so you can't really reef the nuts tight. I wonder if they will hold it square after an adjustment.




No comments:

Post a Comment